Staying home alone at night: 12 great tips
Staying home alone at night. Here are a few things that you can do to help keep yourself safe. These tips that I'm about to share with you are some that I've used myself. They can be used whether or not you have surveillance at home.
1. Keep your cell phone on and ensure that the battery is full.
Never turn off your cell phone when you're home alone at night and don't let your battery be too low. In case of an emergency, you want to ensure that you're able to call someone for help.
2. Double-check all your doors and windows to ensure that they are locked.
Don't let your guard down. It doesn't hurt to check your doors and windows a couple of times to ensure that they are locked. Keep all your safety locks on.
3. Keep on the lights outside.
You don't know who could be lurking around your house. Keep the lights turned on. Maybe, not you but your neighbors could see something suspicious and raise an alarm.
4. Never play anything loud.
Keep your volume at a minimum. Make sure that you're able to hear any strange noises in and around your house.
5. Let someone know how you're doing.
If you aren't feeling well, even the slightest headache. Let someone know what's happening. In case something goes wrong and they aren't hearing from you, they can raise an alarm.
6. Never venture outside alone.
If you hear strange noises outside, don't venture out to see what it is. It's a dangerous thing to do. Call the police immediately.
7. Always have your emergency numbers on speed dial.
The last thing you want to do in an emergency; is to go scurrying through a directory. Ensure that all emergency contacts are stored within your phonebook.
8. Don't be too quick to open up your doors at night.
Before you open up your doors at night. Make sure that you know who's calling and what would have caused them to be at your house at that particular time. It could be a trap.
9. Don't make it too obvious that you're home alone.
If someone is calling for another member of your household who isn't there. Don't be too quick to answer that the person isn't there. Never make it obvious that you're home alone. It's best to remain silent. Let whoever it is that is calling assume that the person isn't there.
10. If you're waiting on someone to get home, find out where they are.
Always check on your loved ones when you are alone at home. If they haven't reached home, ensure that their location is known at all times and the approximate time that they should be home.
You wouldn't want to open your doors to someone who you mistakenly thought was your loved one. You should never open your doors without clarifying who's there.
11. If your curtains are transparent. Keep the lights in that area off.
If your curtains (kitchen) are transparent. Don't keep too many lights on in that area. You don't know who could be watching you from the outside.
12. Turn off all appliances that you aren't in use.
If you must use candles or the stove. Please ensure that they are turned off. These two have contributed to many house fires, including fatalities.
When you're home alone at night:
- Keep your cell phone fully charged.
- Never play anything loud.
- Keep all emergency numbers in your phonebook.
- Find out where your loved ones are and the approximate time that they should be home.
- Never go outside if you hear strange noises. Please call the police.
- Keep your lights on outside.
- Never make it obvious that you're home alone. If someone is calling for another member of your household who isn't there. Be silent, let them assume that the person isn't there.
- Let someone know how you're doing.
Remember to share other helpful tips in the comments. I may have left something important out. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Other posts on this blog.